Tokyo, September 19, 2019 — Casio Computer Co., Ltd., announced today the latest addition to the G-SHOCK brand of shock-resistant watches. The GMW-B5000TB is the first watch in the square-shaped 5000 series to use titanium for its main exterior components.
The new GMW-B5000TB inherits the square shape of the first G-SHOCK, but uses titanium for the main components: case, band, bezel, case back, and button. Since titanium is lighter than stainless steel, the new model is 57 grams lighter than its steel predecessor, the GMW-B5000D, which enhances comfort. In terms of appearance, the GMW-B5000TB features a screw back case for a tight seal and a black case with gold lettering and lines, reproducing the look of the DW-5000C-1B, the first-ever G-SHOCK.
Diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating is applied to the metal components for superior wear resistance. The glass is made from scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, to which a non-reflective coating is applied, and the display uses an STN-LCD that offers superior viewing angles for enhanced readability, making it easier to tell the time. The GMW-B5000TB also features smartphone connectivity to adjust the time and configure world time and other settings easily from a phone, for superior practicality.
Average Amazon Price: $450 (yes, we may earn a commission on qualifying purchases from our links to Amazon)
Year of first release: 2018
Lineup: ORIGIN (The Line includes watches that are almost the same by design as the first “5600” G-Shock model produced in late 1983. Modern series are of course modified versions as regards of technologies and functions but still have an oldschool and very popular look.) All G-Shock Origin Watches →
Nominations: best full-metal, best square, best classic, best functions
The most distinctive specs:
– G-SHOCK Connected App (you may manage all watch settings through your phone)
– Tough Solar (CASIO’s original solar-charging system converts not only sunlight but also light from fluorescent lamps and other sources into power)
– Mobile link (Wireless linking using Bluetooth(R)) (for time sync with your phone data)
– Radio-controlled Watch; Multi band 6 (additional way for time sync. This watch receives time calibration radio signals that keep the displayed time accurate)
– 200-meter water resistance (good for swimming but not for deep diving)
Other colors and full specs: GMW-B5000 Wiki Page
All G-Shock Watches on Active Sale in 2020 — our verified and complete guide