From G-SHOCK, which supports professionals who are active in harsh environments, a collaboration model with “Antarctic Survey ROV” has appeared.
This model is Casio Computer Co., Ltd. and Tokyo Marine University Goto, used as a navigation device for a small underwater unmanned spacecraft (ROV), which was used in the joint research of the 59th Antarctic Research Unit in January 2018. This collaboration model is based on joint research by Shinpei.
The base model adopts “FROGMAN”, a master of G with specs that diving professionals demand. With the full cooperation of Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, which conducts surveys of lakes in Antarctica using ROV, we have created a unique coloring and design. The colors are ROV red, black, orange, and blue, which are designed to investigate in harsh environments. The back cover, backlight band, and special packages are designed with the silhouette of Antarctica.
Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology develops and operates ROV that operates stably even in the special environment of Antarctica, and conducts surveys of Antarctic lakes with the National Institute of Polar Research. In order to perform observations in the polar regions, it is necessary to transport ROVs manually, and downsizing and weight reduction are major issues, and equipment for measuring depth and azimuth was no exception. Therefore, in order to reduce the weight as much as possible, FROGMAN, which is a lightweight and compact size watch, can measure the correct direction even in water where the posture is not stable, and boasts high waterproofness.
This is a special collaboration model created by joint research between ROV and G-SHOCK for Antarctic research that confronts the extreme environment.
Average Amazon Price: $700 (yes, we may earn a commission on qualifying purchases from our links to Amazon)
Year of first release: 2016
Lineup: PROFESSIONAL (G-Shock Professional Line includes watches that can really help you survive under hard, tough conditions. They are well equipped and have the best tough specs.) All G-Shock Professional Watches →
Best for: Big Wrists, Top in G-Shock Lookbooks
The most distinctive specs:
– ISO 200 meters Water Resistance (good for swimming and professional diving)
– Tough Solar (CASIO’s original solar-charging system converts not only sunlight but also light from fluorescent lamps and other sources into power)
– Radio-controlled Watch; Multi band 6 (additional way for time sync. This watch receives time calibration radio signals that keep the displayed time accurate)
– Digital compass (measures and displays direction as one of 16 points)
– Thermometer (can measure and display the outside temperature in a range from -10 C to 60 C)
– Barometer (measures the air pressures and displays tendencies in the weather)
– Altimeter (The electronic mechanism “estimates” the altitude based on the air pressure)
– Depth Meter (Underwater depth measurement up to 80 meters (in 10 cm units))
– Diving Mode (Dive start time, dive time, minimum water temperature, maximum depth)
– Ascent rate alarm (alerts you when the rate of ascent is 10 meters per minute or faster)
– Moon data (moon age of the specific date)
– Tide graph (tide level for specific date and time)
Other colors and full specs: GWF-D1000 Wiki Page
Only Limited Editions: GWF-D1000 Limited Editions