At one time, the line of steel G-Shocks, which the Japanese called G-Steel, made a lot of noise among fans of shock-resistant watches. In fact, these were the first G-Shock-s in a steel case and with an affordable price tag. Then Casio proved to the whole world – a strong and protected case does not have to be from a polymer only, and the metal is able to compete with a more elastic and lightweight material. We didn’t have time to move away from the GST-B100 with a carbon bezel [G-STEEL and carbon fiber in the GST-B100X models], as the Casio showed the completely new GST-B200 series at the Baselworld 2019 watch exhibition. This is the third case [after the GWR- B1000 and GA-2000] with the new protective structure Carbon Core Guard, whose representative [GST-B200-1A] received his own review on the blog of Casio fans.
GST-B200D-1A, GST-B200-1A and GST-B200B-1A
The first impression of the GST-B200 is that they are really light and are almost not felt on the arm [and in the arm]. The reason hides in the very carbon layer that permeates the steel shell. But only this time, carbon fiber is not meant for beauty and style – this technological material is stronger and lighter than its competitors in watchmaking [polyurethane and steel].
Of course, G-Shock was originally conceived as a reliable watch that can survive in any harsh conditions, no one thought about the classic metal solutions. Now circumstances require that – the public warmly accepted the GST line, and the tendency to its development is gradually gaining momentum.
The dimensions pleased me very much – 53.3 x 49.2 x 14.5 mm versus 58.1 x 53.8 x 14.1 for the GST-B100. For some reason, the manufacturer compares it with the GST-W300, allegedly with the previous generation, but I think it is logical to compare GST-B200 with the 100s – a more related series, despite the general concept of the entire steel “family”. The dial at the same time hasn’t lost a millimeter, which means there is no damage to the glass. I admit honestly, this is the first G-Shock that I can call ideal in terms of dimensions and I can safely say that for the wrist of about 17.5-18 cm they will definitely not be a “hockey puck”.
The dial design only remotely resembles the GST-B100, i.e. it’s definitely not a clone of its predecessor. The hour markers have become clearly larger, and this fact has a positive effect on the readability of the analog zone. With the advent of the electronic panel, the philosophy of the arrow Gs is completely changing – now all the basic information is displayed in numbers, and an additional window, so to speak, “on the safe” – the current clock mode and battery level are displayed here. The date window disappeared for an obvious reason – just click one button to see the date in full format.
The digital display is made using STN technology with a better viewing angle, and most importantly, better readability even in bright sunlight. Conventional G-Shock inverted LCD displays behave sadly on a bright sunny day. An image with a resolution of 7×33 pixels consists of large blocks [or pixels] – information is read without problems and from a decent distance.
The main buttons are slightly recessed into the carbon body, and therefore are protected not only from accidental clicks, but also from bumps or drops. The central button located on the right [yes, this is the button, not the crown] stands out among the rest – resembles the style of MRG and MTG. As I understand it, it is used only for connecting with a smartphone and time correction.
The carbon body is visible on the sides and at the points of attachment of the strap. Rather, polyurethane reinforced with carbon fiber, but the first option sounds more solid. In any case, the strength of the GST-B200 is visible, which means there is no reason to doubt the presence of a carbon component.
I would not call the strap outstanding – standard polyurethane in an external textured insert. Increasingly, I notice on the hand of people exactly the option steel + polyurethane – it looks stylish and is easy to wear. Casio residents decided to provide for the possibility of quick replacement of the strap – one click of a small lever solves this problem in a couple of seconds. The question is only about the accessory potential of G-Shock – while only the GA-2000 has separate straps on sale. If the GST-B200 show a positive trend in sales, removable straps will not take long.
The back cover does not protrude above the buttons, and therefore does not thicken the case. Premium design, with a matte edge and engraved Carbon Core Guard – little things that will not only be appreciated by an experienced G-Shock fan.
Mineral glass is flush with the bezel, so it’s better to avoid meeting sharp corners.
The simplicity and intuitiveness of the settings cannot be felt without connecting to a smartphone – Bluetooth solves all problems without instructions and endless pressing of buttons at random. First of all, you need to install the G-Shock Connected application [available for Android and iOS] on your smartphone. After launching the application, it is proposed to select a watch model, and then advice is displayed on how to lock the clock – hold the central button for about 2 seconds.
The application menu is very simple and consists of Guide [interactive guide], World Time [World time] and Utility [alarm clock and timer].
The guide, in turn, is divided into sections – the current time mode, world time, stopwatch, timer, alarm clock. If you suddenly forgot where and why to click – everything is painted in detail and shown here.
World clock is a convenient feature for travelers. Just a couple of tapas on the screen – and I have already set Berlin as the second city. You can select a city directly on the map or drive in the search. All these parameters, by the way, can be configured in the watch itself.
The Alarm menu consists of five separate alarms, each of which can be simple [only one alarm], daily [alarm every day at the same time], and customizable [monthly, annual, daily]. Each alarm has its own name.
The timer is simple – set the time, sent the setting to the clock, use it.
I would also like to say about the settings menu for additional features – here are the items for setting the indication, button sound, manual adjustment of time, daylight saving time, backlight and position of the arrows. If the arrows suddenly go astray [for example, from a strong blow or magnetic influence], everything is easily corrected using the item “Setting home positions”. Select the arrow, and tap right or left, depending on the deviation of the arrow.
The solar battery allows you to enjoy all the benefits of wireless synchronization without any problems – recharging from daylight is almost always available.
The 24-hour stopwatch is pretty accurate here – a measurement step of 1/1000 second. It’s nice to watch for fractions of seconds, and even on such a large display.
“Specifications of GST-B200”]
- Case / bezel material: Carbon / Stainless steel
- Resin Band
- Mineral Glass
- Shock Resistant
- Carbon Core Guard structure
- 200-meter water resistance
- Double LED light
- LED light for the face (Full auto LED light, Super illuminator, selectable illumination duration (1.5 seconds or 3 seconds), afterglow)
- LED backlight for the digital display (Full auto LED light, Super illuminator, selectable illumination duration (1.5 seconds or 3 seconds), afterglow)
- Tough Solar (Solar powered)
- Mobile link (Wireless linking using Bluetooth®)
- World time
- 39 time zones* (39 cities + coordinated universal time), daylight saving on/off, auto summer time (DST) switching, Home city/World time city swapping
- *May be updated when connected to a smartphone.
- 1/1000-second stopwatch
- Measuring capacity:
- 00’00”000~59’59”999 (for the first 60 minutes)
- 1:00’00”0~23:59’59”9 (after 60 minutes)
- Measuring unit:
- 1/1000 second (for the first 60 minutes)
- 1/10 second (after 60 minutes)
- Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time
- Countdown timer
- Measuring unit: 1/10 second
- Countdown range: 24 hours
- Countdown start time setting range: 1 second to 24 hours (1-second increments, 1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
- 5 multi-function alarms (with daily, 1 time, schedule)
- Hourly time signal
- Hand shift feature (Hands move out of the way to provide an unobstructed view of digital display contents.)
- Battery level indicator
- Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
- 12/24-hour format
- Button operation tone on/off
- Power Saving (display goes blank and hands stop to save power when the watch is left in the dark)
- Regular timekeeping
- Analog: 3 hands (hour, minute (hand moves every 10 seconds), second),
- Digital: Hour, minute, second, pm, month, date, day
- Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month (with no mobile link function)
- Approx. battery operating time:
- 6 months on rechargeable battery (operation period with normal use without exposure to light after charge)
- 20 months on rechargeable battery (operation period when stored in total darkness with the power save function on after full charge)
- Size of case : 53.3×49.2×14.5mm
- Total weight : 87g
Of the other features of the GST-B200, one can not help talking about the Hands Shift function, or moving the hands to the neutral position – it may be necessary with the active use of a stopwatch or timer so that at the right time the hands do not close the electronic board.
The backlight is exactly the same as all ana-digi must have – two LEDs illuminate separately the analog zone and the digital LCD. Neobrite [light-accumulating coating on arrows] we do not take into account – it is mediocre here. By the way, there is auto-triggering when you turn your hand.
Personally, I was very pleased with the GST-B200-1A. The comfortable size and lightness of the case, despite the metal, played a decisive role in my vision of the series. Do not worry, there are still a lot of steel here – the bezel, screws, buttons, strap fastening create an overall picture of elite watches, although the model does not apply to the top premium segment. GST-B100 also had wireless capabilities and solar power, but the carbon component definitely takes the 200th to a new level – both in terms of convenience and durability.
Read Quick News on GST-B200:
- GST-B200 and Japanese approaches to Tough and Functional Watches
- [G-Shock Comparison] GST-B400 VS GST-B300 VS GST-B200
- G-Shock GST-B200 PROs & CONs from users and experts
- [G-Shock Official Video] GST-B200 — Carbon Core Guard structure
- [G-Shock Comparison] GST-B300 VS GST-B200 VS GST-W330
- [G-Shock Limited] MTG-B1000TJ and GST-B200TJ Taiji Pattern
Firstly published, but we carefully translated into English.
Some FAQ moments about G-Shock GST-B200 Series
What is 200 Water resistance?
G-Shock GST-B200 is suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports, but not suitable for diving.
What is G-SHOCK Connected App?
This is the basic application for connecting and communicating with a Bluetooth(R) v4.0 enabled CASIO watch. Pairing your watch with a smartphone enables use of a variety of different Mobile Link functions that greatly enhance the smartphone experience. The G-SHOCK Connected app also simplifies certain watch operations by letting you perform them on your phone screen.
What is Mobile link (Wireless linking using Bluetooth(R)) ?
Wireless function link with mobile phones that support Bluetooth®.
What is Tough Solar?
CASIO’s original solar-charging system converts not only sunlight but also light from fluorescent lamps and other sources into power.
GST-B200 Profile / Casio G-Shock
Average Amazon Price: $270 (yes, we may earn a commission on qualifying purchases from our links to Amazon). Check the Price on Amazon →
Year of first release: 2019
Lineup: G-STEEL (G-Steel are refined watches and combine high-quality materials with G-Shock’s standard of toughness. Its layered guard structure boasts a double-layer bezel construction of stainless steel and resin or resin and fine resin which delivers the hard, sleek beauty of metal while retaining the impact absorption of resin.) All G-Shock G-Steel Watches →
Best for: Office and Formal Wear, Top in G-Shock Lookbooks
The most distinctive specs:
– 200-meter water resistance (good for swimming but not for deep diving)
– Tough Solar (CASIO’s original solar-charging system converts not only sunlight but also light from fluorescent lamps and other sources into power)
– G-SHOCK Connected App (you may manage all watch settings through your phone)
– Mobile link (Wireless linking using Bluetooth(R)) (for time sync with your phone data)
– Carbon Core Guard structure (integrates the lugs and pipes that connect the band into single pieces, creating a wall that isolates the watch’s module from impact. The resin of the center case is also reinforced with carbon fibers, which further enhances module protection, while reducing overall weight)
Other colors and full specs: GST-B200 Wiki Page
Only Limited Editions: GST-B200 Limited Editions
G-Shock GST-B200 Rating System