The past is returning, but with a new set of features and modern technologies. So I call the GWX-5700CS series, which borrowed the look from representatives of the DW-5750s and do not mind competing [in sales] even with the top models of the famous G-Shock-s. Consider the model GWX-5700CS-2ER in more detail on the blog of Casio lovers, to find out the prospects for the development of the “past” generation in a modern way.
Every time I take a watch for a review, I try to make the right choice in the direction of color. It was necessary to choose between white and blue, where, of course, won the second option.
There is nothing to even think about, because the sea direction G-Lide [to which today’s hero belongs] should be attractive on the wrist and add something new to your style. Blue GWX-5700CS-2ER are just like that.
The watches personify the color of the sea blue and cause you to duel with the sea. I agree, probably not the best opponent, but surfers love such statements …
GWX-5700CS-2ER created for fans of the water elements. Moreover, this focus is impossible not to notice – the schedule of tides and the age of the moon draws attention to itself at each glance at the exact time of the dial. The upper wavy part of the display is even painted in a delicate blue tint, in order thus to emphasize once again the sea importance of the series.
So what is this importance? Do professional surfers rely on watch information [GWX-5700] when planning “attacks” on the waves? Even in the official description of the series there are words about “favorites among pros surfers”, which is probably the case. Sorry, we did not do the survey, so it remains only to believe. As for the principle of the work of the so-called high-wave graphics, here you can familiarize yourself with our recent materials on the blog: Tides in Casio watches – a description and features of the work and the Moon Phase in Casio watches. Here are a few key points from the materials [if someone is too lazy to read everything]:
About ebbs and flows. The phenomenon of tides is directly dependent on the mutual attraction of the Earth, the Moon and the Sun and means a periodic increase in the water level in water bodies [seas, oceans, lakes, gulfs, etc.]. There are ebbs and flows with a frequency of 6 hours. Theoretically, the tide occurs when the moon passes over the meridian, and the ebb in 6 hours. The actual tide may occur a little later due to secondary factors such as viscosity, friction and underwater topography. The Casio watch has a special indicator scale that shows the level of the tide.
About the age of the moon. Information about the age of the moon is already known in advance, and “embedded” in the clock. In the clock we set the date and time zone settings and they understand how to interpret the age in our location. Knowing the age of the moon on a certain date, you can determine the time and degree of tide [for surfers and sailors], plan planting and watering plants, choose the best time for fishing [the position of the moon depends on fish activity] and much more.
Understanding the logic of work, everything becomes extremely clear, which means that the data on the waves can really be considered. You can choose the date, time and calculate a good period for going to sea [or vice versa]. Manual calibration is also present, so the accuracy of the information can be brought to perfection [it all depends on your desire to understand all the subtleties].
Let’s forget about the marine orientation of the clock [although it definitely has a place to be], because the GWX-5700 series is not only about that. A novelty fell in love with at least two things: a thin body [14.2 mm] in a round form factor from the 90s and for chic new features [solar power and radio synchronization]. Never has the past been so close and so modern.
I can not distinguish black inscriptions on the blue case and strap. The designers decided not to hide them in the blue and, as for me, this is the right decision. If it were not for the inscriptions, the clock would look like a regular piece of polymer material on the hand [which, as it were, not so]. And so in front of you is a watch with pleasant “tattoos” that perfectly fit into the external style.
I never thought that I would be against the secrecy of the watch, but in this case the emphasis on words is really acceptable. Readability dial at an ideal level. In the related series DW-5750 I enjoyed the inversion view, although compared to the usual the difference is significant.
This is certainly an amateur; nevertheless, the inversion gives the watch its special stylish flavor, but the usual dial is still beautiful in terms of readability of information. Everything can be seen very clearly, without any strain on the eyes and do not depend on the correct viewing angle.
Interval timer. I liked the possibility of self-input interval training.
Of course, this is not a GBA-800 timer, it’s simpler, but still better than the classic one [where the primitive countdown is for a specified amount of time]. The point is that you yourself can set two intervals up to 99 minutes + a repetition range [from 1 to 10]. The process is not very clear, so I will explain with an example of a workout: we run 10 minutes quickly, we rest 2 minutes, we run again 10 minutes, we rest again 2 minutes and so up to 10 times [but you can specify the number of repetitions]. You have the ability to set up two intervals with different times [minutes and seconds], which will evenly alternate up to 10 times. I see a huge potential for a timer in crossfit, bar, boxing, etc. It’s very cool to have such a “trainer”, and, I hope, the Japanese will develop its capabilities in new models. Watches only benefit from this and, most importantly, do not require such an annoying recharge [as is often the case in purely sports watches of other brands].
Sharpening the clock under yourself will allow 5 daily alarm clocks alarms [one with a “doze” mode, which is activated after 5 minutes].
Backlight with a full set of nice chips: the illumination covers the entire electronic space with a chic green tint [Full auto EL], automatic activation is present depending on the angle of the wrist.
World time in 48 top cities is also present. Strap with standard polyurethane. Everything is very durable and reliable.
“Specifications of GWX-5700”]
- Tide Graph shows tide information a preset area
- Moon Data shows the Moon age for a preset area
- Case / bezel material: Resin
- Resin Band
- Shock Resistant
- Mineral Glass
- 200-meter water resistance
- Electro-luminescent backlight
- Full auto EL light, selectable illumination duration (1.5 seconds or 3 seconds), afterglow
- Tough Solar (Solar powered)
- Time calibration signal reception
- Auto receive up to six* times a day (remaining auto receives canceled as soon as one is successful)
- *5 times a day for the Chinese calibration signal
- Manual receive
- The latest signal reception results
- Time Calibration Signals
- Station name: DCF77 (Mainflingen, Germany)
- Frequency: 77.5 kHz
- Station name: MSF (Anthorn, England)
- Frequency: 60.0 kHz
- Station name: WWVB (Fort Collins, United States)
- Frequency: 60.0 kHz
- Station name: JJY (Fukushima, Fukuoka/Saga, Japan)
- Frequency: 40.0 kHz (Fukushima) / 60.0 kHz (Fukuoka/Saga)
- Station name: BPC (Shangqiu City, Henan Province, China)
- Frequency: 68.5 kHz
- World time
- 31 time zones (48 cities + coordinated universal time), city code display, daylight saving on/off
- Moon data (moon age of the specific data, moon phase graph)
- Tide graph (tide level for specific date and time)
- Preset tide sites: 100 (global)
- 1/100-second stopwatch
- Measuring capacity: 59’59.99”
- Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time,1st-2nd place times
- 2 countdown timers
- Can be used during interval training that alternates between two different paces.
- Measuring unit: 1 second
- Input range: 00’05” to 99’55”
- (1-minute increments and 5-second increments)
- Other: Number of repeats settable from 1 to 10
- 5 daily alarms (with 1 snooze alarm)
- Hourly time signal
- Battery power indicator
- Power Saving (display goes blank to save power when the watch is left in the dark)
- Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
- 12/24-hour format
- Button operation tone on/off
- Regular timekeeping: Hour, minute, second, pm, month, date, day
- Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
- Approx. battery operating time:
- 10 months on rechargeable battery (operation period with normal use without exposure to light after charge)
- 26 months on rechargeable battery (operation period when stored in total darkness with the power save function on after full charge)
- Size of case : 48.9×45.4×14.2mm
- Total weight : 55g
The GWX-5700CS-2ER can not not like: they have just a phenomenal abundance of functions that everyone can use for their sporting activities. In addition, the watch is very stylish, with its designer twist and steep interval timer capabilities. The presence of solar power and radio synchronization takes the series to a completely different level of perception [and prices]. In any case – they are worth it.
Read Quick News on GWX-5700:
- [G-Shock Comparison] GBX-100 VS GWX-5700 VS GAX-100
- [G-Shock Old Alternative] DW-5400 started in 1985 and how’s it going now?
- [G-Shock Review] GWX-5700CS-2ER – Surfing, Interval Timer and other
- [Live Photos] G-Shock GWX-5700SS-7 × BEACH ACTIVITIES
- [Live Photos] G-Shock GWX-5700 & Baby-G BLX-570 G-LIDE Summer Series
- [Live Photos] G-Shock G-LIDE GWX-5700 x Ron Herman Collaboration
Firstly published, but we carefully translated into English.
Some FAQ moments about G-Shock GWX-5700 Series
What is 200 Water resistance?
What is Tough Solar?
CASIO’s original solar-charging system converts not only sunlight but also light from fluorescent lamps and other sources into power.
What is Tide Graph?
The tides refer to the periodic rise and fall of water in oceans, seas, bays and other bodies of water. This is caused mainly by the gravitation between earth, the moon and the sun. The tides rise and fall approximately every six hours. The tide graph shows the movement of the tides based on the course of the moon over a meridian and the lunitidal interval.
The watch can show the low and high tide phases for any given location or date. This can be quite useful, for example if you want to know the patterns of the tides at your destination in advance.