AW-500 Model Range *may be updated
Quick Content Guide
- AW-500E Model Range *in different colors and bands
- Japanese Unique Features in AW-500 *the most distinctive features in details
- General information about the watch *year of first release, model range etc.
- Official AW-500E Video *only from Casio Company
- G-Shock AW-500E Display Guide *for key functions only
- G-Shock AW-500E on the wrist! *only images and only on the wrist
- AW-500E Usage Patterns *what the watch is usually meant for
- Feedback from Users and Experts *anonymous from different sources
- AW-500 Limited Editions *unique style, materials, and price
- The most distinctive specs *from our Editorial point of view
- Other G-Shock AW Watches *similar by price and functions but different by cases
- Official AW-500E Specs *all details and for base version AW-500E-1E
- G-Shock AW-500E PROs & CONs *by experts with 10 years experience
- AW-500E Comparison Table *with similar G-Shock Watches
- Full Photo Gallery *various images
- Recent News about AW-500 *the latest breaking news and videos
Enjoy Japanese Unique Features in AW-500!
Original Style. The design of the original model, which had not been made digital, provides blueprints for newly designed components. The variant hand shapes, triangular marker, index, decorative letters and numerals, and other such features are reproduced faithfully.
All-Original Beauty of Form. The watch’s “simple & minimal” design concept draws on the unique characteristics of its resin-molded form with features such as the slanted bezel with its curved outline that continues onto the band.
Perfect Circle Motif. Embodying the“ simple & minimal” design, the perfect circle motif is adopted even for side buttons. The same historic originality informs features such as the angle of horizontally operated button shafts as well.
New Style. Components including the case, band, dial, hands and reverse LCD display all uniformly feature a single color. The adoption of a bar index lends the watch a simpler design.
*average Amazon Price, we may earn commission from purchases
|Year of first Release||2020|
|Module Number||5416 / Manual|
|Model Range||STANDART ANA-DIGI (This Line includes Digital and Analog displays on G-Shocks that are the best in “price/quality” category. Usually have traditional digital functions, but with beautiful hands. Don’t worry, the hands won’t prevent you from seeing digits, since there is a special Hand Shift technology that moves them to the neutral position)|
|Battery Type||CR2016 (G-Shock Batteries)|
Buy Battery on Amazon →
|Other Divisions the AW-500E belongs to: *you may find all watches of the division by clicking on the link||G-Shock Ana-Digi|
Official G-Shock AW-500E Video
G-Shock AW-500 Display Guide *for key functions only. For you to know how it works))
Using the Alarm
When an alarm is turned on, the alarm tone will sound when its alarm time is reached.
Use C to select the Alarm Mode.
Using the Stopwatch
The stopwatch measures elapsed time.
Use C to select the Stopwatch Mode
Dual Time Mode
You can use the Dual Time Mode to set a second time that is different from the Timekeeping Mode time.
Adjusting the Analog Hand Setting
Use the following procedure to adjust the analog hands so their settings match the digital time.
1. In any mode, press A to advance the analog time setting by 20 seconds.
– Holding down A advances the analog time setting at high speed.
G-Shock AW-500E on the wrist!
AW-500 Usage Patterns *what the watch is usually meant for
Feedback from Users *accumulated information from our own comments and emails, forum threads, socials, reviews, etc.
+ reminds of juggernaut from X-Men
+ digital display is easy to read
+ retro look
+ toughness and Gshock-like
+ looks really beautiful
+ like how compact it is & the dial is incredibly legible
– no smart functions
– very basic movement
– too short handset
– adjust the hands manually
– poor back light
– the analog hands adjustment button is way too stiff, you almost have to use your fingernail to access it
– it’s so slow too
– why Casio does not put the option to change the date format?
– they should at least give tough solar and better controls of the analog hands
– they revived the design but the tech is still outdated
– the hands aren’t synchronized with the digital time
– no hand shift function
AW-500 Limited Editions *unique style, materials, and price
The Listing of All G-Shock AW-500 Limited Watches → *with detailed description about the style
What we like in AW-500 *comments by experts with 10 years experience in writing about Casio watches
— Come back from 1989 (updated version of the first G-Shock analog-digital model AW-500 that proved to the whole World – the hands, gears, and other small parts of analog watches can be shock resistant)
— Dual Time (In addition to the time in your current location, which is indicated by wide hour and minute hands, a second time can be indicated by the digital dial)
— Battery life: 7 years (the longest lasting battery for a non-solar G-Shock watch with an analog display)
— No Timer (remains devoted to it first model without timer)
— Electro-luminescent backlight (for digital display)
— Case / bezel material: Resin (almost the same look like in 1989)
— 200-meter water resistance (good for swimming but not for deep diving)
Other G-Shock AW Watches *similar by price and functions but different by cases
Official Casio Description. This new model revives the classic AW-500 Series with new looks that embody the unmatched toughness for which G-SHOCK has been renowned since its inception back in 1983. Making its initial appearance in 1989 as G-SHOCK’s first analog-digital model, the AW-500 shattered the then widely held belief that the hands, gears, and other small parts of analog watches made them vulnerable to shock and impact. This new model provides a choice of the original AW-500 look. The AW-500E has the same color combination as the original AW-500.
Basic features include stopwatch and timer, along with an EL backlight, seven-year battery life, and more.
Official AW-500E Specs / Features *for base version AW-500E-1E
- Case / bezel material: Resin
- Resin Band
- Shock Resistant
- Mineral Glass
- 200-meter water resistance
- Electro-luminescent backlight
- Dual time
- 1/100-second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 00′00″00～59′59″99 (for the first 60 minutes)
1:00′00～23:59′59 (after 60 minutes)
Measuring unit: 1/100 second (for the first 60 minutes)
1 second (after 60 minutes)
Measuring mode: Elapsed time
- Daily alarm
- Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
- 12/24-hour format
- Regular timekeeping
Analog: 2 hands (hour, minute (hand moves every 20 seconds))
Digital: Hour, minute, second, pm, month, date, day
- Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month
- Approx. battery life: 7 years on CR2016
- Size of case : 55.2×47.7×14.7mm
- Total weight : 58g
G-SHOCK AW-500E PROs & CONs
*we composed all points based on our ten years experience in writing about CASIO watches. We know what matters when you are searching for your ideal G-SHOCK!
– Comeback as the first ana-digi
G-SHOCK from 1989
– Long battery life-time (7 years)
– Hands with gear design
– Minimal casual style
– Cool matte colors
– Two time zones at the same time (dual time feature)
– Very small LCD
– No hourly time signal
– No illumination for hands and hour marks
– Tiny data on a digital display
– No Second Hand
AW-500E Comparison Table with similar G-Shock Watches
Year of first Release
Radio-controlled (via atomic watch signals)
±15 seconds per month
Neobrite (hands and hour markers) Double LED light
Neobrite and Electro-luminescent backlight (for digital display)
5 daily alarms (with countdown)
Measuring unit: 1 second
Hourly Time Signal
31 time zones (48 cities + coordinated universal time), daylight saving time on/off, Home city/World time city swapping
Case / bezel material
7 years on CR2016
Size (mm) *we consider 48.9×42.8×13.4 to be a traditional watch size (as in DW-5600). So you are to compare how far or close the watch is to this size
Full features (if you want to know more)
Recent News about AW-500E
- [G-Shock Limited] AW-500BB-4ENDP21 x Tobyato National Day Collaboration 2021
- [G-Shock 2021] DW-5600MNT and AW-500MNT — Music Night Tokyo Series
- [G-Shock Standart Ana-Digi] AW-500MNT — Designed by Yoshirotten
- [G-Shock Ana-Digi] AW-500 — Floating through space and time with style
- [G-Shock Old Alternative] AW-500 started in 1989 and how’s it going now?
You ask, we answer…
In addition to the time in your current location, which is indicated by wide hour and minute hands, a second time can be indicated by the digital dial.
The watch is good for swimming but not for deep diving.
It’s updated version of the first G-Shock analog-digital model AW-500 that proved to the whole World – the hands, gears, and other small parts of analog watches can be shock resistant.
Not sure about AW-500E? There are more G-Shocks!
Wow! What a classic watch.