AWG-M520 Model Range *may be updated
Quick Content Guide
- AWG-M520 Model Range *in different colors and bands
- General information about the watch *year of first release, model range etc.
- G-Shock AWG-M520 on the wrist! *only images and only on the wrist
- AWG-M520 Usage Patterns *what the watch is usually meant for
- Feedback from Users and Experts *anonymous from different sources
- The most distinctive specs *from our Editorial point of view
- Other G-Shock AWG Watches *similar by price and functions but different by cases
- Official AWG-M520 Specs *all details and for base version AWG-M520-1A
- G-Shock AWG-M520 PROs & CONs *by experts with 10 years experience
- AWG-M520 Comparison Table *with similar G-Shock Watches
- Japanese Unique Features in AWG-M520! *the most distinctive features in details
- Recent News about AWG-M520 *the latest breaking news and videos
About the Watch in Short. From the toughness watch G-SHOCK, which has been evolving in search of insatiable strength since its launch in 1983, the AWG-M520 series, which has been reprinted by adding new functions to the famous machines of the past, has appeared.
*average Amazon Price, we may earn commission from purchases
|Year of first Release||2021|
|Module Number||6540 / Manual|
|Model Range||STANDART ANA-DIGI (This Line includes Digital and Analog displays on G-Shocks that are the best in “price/quality” category. Usually have traditional digital functions, but with beautiful hands. Don’t worry, the hands won’t prevent you from seeing digits, since there is a special Hand Shift technology that moves them to the neutral position)|
|Battery Type||Solar powered (G-Shock Batteries)|
|Other Divisions the AWG-M520 belongs to: *you may find all watches of the division by clicking on the link||G-Shock Ana-Digi|
G-Shock AWG-M520 on the wrist!
AWG-M520 Usage Patterns *what the watch is usually meant for
Feedback from Users *accumulated information from our own comments and emails, forum threads, socials, reviews, etc.
+ good for work
+ glossy black matches the texture of the dial
+ the dial is priced texture
– looks very cheap (it goes from the enclosure to the band with matte black)
– no fashionable element
Feedback from Experts *based on comparison info with similar watches by price, model range, etc.
+ perfect accuracy. Radio-controlled (via atomic watch signals)
+ Auto-Back Light
+ 5 time alarms (with countdown function)
+ World Time (48 cities)
+ Solar powered battery
+ Multi Band 6
+ Screw Back
– resin case
What we like in AWG-M520 *comments by experts with 10 years experience in writing about Casio watches
— Come back from 1989 (updated version of the first G-Shock analog-digital model AW-500 that proved to the whole World – the hands, gears, and other small parts of analog watches can be shock resistant)
— Tough Solar (CASIO’s original solar-charging system converts not only sunlight but also light from fluorescent lamps and other sources into power)
— Radio-controlled Watch; Multi band 6 (additional way for time sync. This watch receives time calibration radio signals that keep the displayed time accurate)
— Hand Shift (moves the hands to neutral position for a better digital screen readability)
— World Time (Ideal function for business people or travelers who want to control two times at one display)
— Timer (100 minutes with 1 sec move)
Other G-Shock AWG Watches *similar by price and functions but different by cases
Official Casio Description. Born in 1989 as G-SHOCK’s first analog / digital combination model, the AW-500 overturns the preconceived notion that analog watches are vulnerable to shocks because they have many small parts such as hands and gears. The round case design and the simple band shape without unevenness are kept as they are, and the radio wave reception function and tough solar are installed. The lineup includes three models: the AWG-M520, which faithfully reproduces the original design, the AWG-M520BB, which is finished in all black, and the AWG-M520G, which has a pink gold accent in black. Evolve and play a revival.
Official AWG-M520 Specs / Features *for base version AWG-M520-1A
- Case / bezel material: Resin
- Resin Band
- Inorganic glass
- Shock Resistant
- 200-meter water resistance
- Tough solar (solar charging system)
- Radio reception function: Automatic reception (up to 6 times / day)
- Needle retract function (If the needle overlaps with the liquid crystal display and is difficult to see, the needle can be temporarily retracted from above the liquid crystal display)
- World time: 48 cities around the world (31 time zones, with daylight saving time setting function) + UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) time display, home time city replacement function
- Stopwatch (1/100 second, 60 minutes total, with split)
- Timer (set unit: 1 second, maximum set: 100 minutes, measured in 1 second units)
- 5 time alarms (with countdown function), time signal
- Power saving function (In a dark place, the display is turned off after a certain period of time and the hand movement is stopped to save power)
- Fully automatic calendar
- 12/24 hour system display switching
- Operation sound ON / OFF switching function
- Double LED light: LED light for dial (fully automatic light, super illuminator, afterglow function, with afterglow time switching (1.5 seconds / 3 seconds)),
LED backlight for LCD part (fully automatic light, super illuminator, afterglow) Function, with afterglow time switching (1.5 seconds / 3 seconds))
- Driving time without solar power generation from full charge When using the function: Approximately 7 months When using the power saving state: Approximately 18 months
- Case size (H x W x D): 55.2 x 47.7 x 13.1 mm
- Weight: 55g
G-SHOCK AWG-M520 PROs & CONs
*we composed all points based on our ten years experience in writing about CASIO watches. We know what matters when you are searching for your ideal G-SHOCK!
– Classic Look (based on the first Ana-Digi G-Shock)
– Attractive & unique hands structure
– Solar Powered (Tough Solar). No need to worry about the battery change
– Radio Control Accuracy (corrects the time if needed via radio signals)
– Countdown timer (100 minutes)
– Double LED Light (one for the face and one for the digital display)
– Doubtful readability (the hands are not very distinct in some series)
– Poor digital display readability (if the model uses negative display type)
– Budget-friendly materials
– No Second Hand
AWG-M520 Comparison Table with similar G-Shock Watches
Year of first Release
Radio-controlled (via atomic watch signals)
Radio-controlled (via atomic watch signals)
±15 seconds per month
Double LED light: LED light for dial (fully automatic light, super illuminator, afterglow function, with afterglow, LED backlight for LCD part
Neobrite (hands and hour markers) Double LED light
Neobrite and Electro-luminescent backlight (for digital display)
5 time alarms (with countdown function)
5 daily alarms (with countdown)
(Set unit: 1 second, maximum set: 100 minutes, measured in 1 second units)
Measuring unit: 1 second
(1/100 second, 60 minutes total, with split)
Hourly Time Signal
48 cities around the world (31 time zones, with daylight saving time setting function) + UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) time display, home time city replacement function
31 time zones (48 cities + coordinated universal time), daylight saving time on/off, Home city/World time city swapping
Alpha Gel /
Case / bezel material
7 years on CR2016
Size (mm) *we consider 48.9×42.8×13.4 to be a traditional watch size (as in DW-5600). So you are to compare how far or close the watch is to this size
Full features (if you want to know more)
Enjoy Japanese Unique Features in AWG-M520!
*some images are about G-Shock 5000/5600 cases, but the technology, approaches, concepts and philosophy remains the same for the whole G-Shock Model Range
Hollow case structure. Based on a realization that “shocks are not transmitted inside a bouncing rubber ball,” the structure was designed to let the module float inside the case, relieving shocks transmitted from outside. Today, the module’s shock resistance is realized through further technical innovations. But the revolutionary tough structure that gave G-SHOCK its origin began here.
All-directional covering. If the watch is dropped, the protruding bezel fully enclosing it absorbs the shock, protecting the buttons directly connected to the module and alleviating shocks from all directions. The bezel also guards the surface of the crystal. The band is curved stiffly at the point of connection with the case, moreover, enabling it to serve as a shock absorber and prevent direct shocks to the back of the case.
Protective cushioning of key parts. The crystal oscillator and other critical parts inside the module are guarded individually by cushioning material. Any strong shock to the watch causes immediate distortion of the cushioning inside the module, preventing contact failure and malfunction.
Japan Quality. Constructed with genuine quality, CASIO products provide truly practicable applications in which functionality and beauty combine. The leading-edge LSI technologies and skilled craftsmanship that give life to CASIO watches exemplify the quality Japan boasts in the world marketplace.
For CASIO, “faith in manufacturing” refers to an inexorable advancement of digital technologies and an uncompromising commitment to fine craftsmanship. This faith engenders unparalleled performance that not only elevates CASIO watches as close as possible to perfection, but that actually changes their wearers’ lifestyles.
Recent News about AWG-M520
- [G-Shock Ana-Digi] AWG-M520VB and GA-2100VB — Virtual Blue Series
- [G-Shock Ana-Digi] AWG-M520 — Machine in the past
- [G-Shock Origin] AWG-M520 and Classic Round Case
- [G-Shock Comparison] AWG-M520 VS AWM-500 VS AW-500E
Not sure about AWG-M520? There are more G-Shocks!