Detailed PRG-300 technical specs are here →
About PRG-300 in Short. Inexpensive ProTrek with the latest generation triple sensor and compact round case. With relatively small dimensions of the case, the module is still advanced – the sensor includes a barometer / altimeter, a thermometer and a digital compass. Solar power completely removes the issue of periodic battery replacement [at least for the first ten years]. The digital display is divided into separate zones to display different information – the current time, date and additional indicators. The barometer, thermometer and compass are activated at the touch of a button for convenient use of the watch. The housing is resistant to low temperatures [up to -20 ° C]. The basic capabilities of the PRG-300 are standard – stopwatch, timer, alarms, world clock and calendar.
|Price||190$ *average Amazon Price, we may earn commission from purchases|
|Year of First Release||2015|
|Battery Type||Solar (ProTrek Batteries)|
PRG-300 Model Range *may be updated
*Want to be the first to know about new ProTrek Updates? Here we store all recent Monthly ProTrek Updates →
Official Description from Casio. Stay one step ahead of Mother Nature with the Solar Powered PRG300, incorporating Casio’s new Triple Sensor Version 3 engine. Advanced CASIO original technology has allowed for a 95% smaller direction sensor and 90% reduction in sensor power consumption compared to previous models. Despite their smaller size, the new sensors in this model delivers better accuracy and energy efficiency. This model can measure Altitude in 1m increments (previously 5m) and display compass readings with 60-seconds of continuous measurement (previously 20 seconds). In addition to the altimeter and digital compass, the watch’s Barometer, incorporates a unique Barometric Pressure Tendency Alarm that alerts the wearer to sudden changes in pressure readings.
Official PRG-300 Specs / Features *for base version PRG-300-2
- Mineral Glass
- 100-meter water resistance
- Case / bezel material: Resin
- Resin Band
- LED backlight (Super Illuminator)
- Full auto LED light, selectable illumination duration (1.5 seconds or 3 seconds), afterglow
- Solar powered
- Low-temperature resistant (–10°C/14°F)
- Digital compass
- Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
- Measuring range: 0 to 359°
- Measuring unit: 1°
- 60 seconds continuous measurement
- Graphic direction pointer
- Bidirectional calibration
- Magnetic declination correction
- Bearing memory
- Measuring range: –700 to 10,000 m (–2,300 to 32,800 ft.)
- Measuring unit: 1 m (5 ft.)
- Manual memory measurements
- (up to 30 records, each including altitude, date, time)
- Auto log data (High/low altitudes, auto cumulative ascent and descent)
- Trek log data (up to 14 records of high/low altitudes, auto cumulative ascent and descent of particular treks)
- Others: Relative altitude readings (–3,000 to 3,000 m), Selectable measurement interval: 5 seconds or 2 minutes
- *1 second for first 3 minutes only
- *Changeover between meters (m) and feet (ft)
- Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
- Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
- Atmospheric pressure tendency graph (past 42 hours of readings)
- Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
- Barometric pressure tendency information alarm (beep and arrow indicate significant changes in pressure)
- *Changeover between hPa and inHg
- Display range: –10 to 60°C (14 to 140°F)
- Display unit: 0.1°C (0.2°F)
- *Changeover between Celsius (°C) and Fahrenheit (°F)
- World time
- 31 time zones (48 cities + coordinated universal time), daylight saving on/off
- Sunrise, sunset time display
- Sunrise time and sunset time for specific date, daylight pointers
- 1/10-second stopwatch
- Measuring capacity: 999:59’59.9”
- Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
- Countdown timer
- Measuring unit: 1 second
- Countdown range: 24 hours
- Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
- 5 daily alarms (with 1 snooze alarm)
- Hourly time signal
- Battery level indicator
- Power Saving (display goes blank to save power when the watch is left in the dark)
- Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
- 12/24-hour format
- Button operation tone on/off
- Regular timekeeping: Hour, minute, second, pm, year, month, date, day
- Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month
- Approx. battery operating time:
- 8 months on rechargeable battery (operation period with normal use without exposure to light after charge)
- 23 months on rechargeable battery (operation period when stored in total darkness with the power save function on after full charge)
- Size of case: 56 × 47 × 12.6 mm
- Total weight: 57 g
ProTrek PRG-300 on the wrist!
Feedback from users *accumulated information from our own comments and emails, forum threads, socials, reviews, etc.
+ very weather proof;
+ ABC functions are awesome;
+ light on wrist; aesthetically pleasing,
+ lots of useful functions that you can figure out if YOU READ THE MANUAL
+ multi-function display is great and very helpful
– illuminate button is hard to find in the dark
– face is a little hard to read
The most distinctive specs of PRG-300 *Editorial
— 100-meter water resistance (good for swimming but not for deep diving)
— Tough Solar (CASIO’s original solar-charging system converts not only sunlight but also light from fluorescent lamps and other sources into power)
— Digital compass (measures and displays direction as one of 16 points)
— Thermometer (can measure and display the outside temperature in a range from -10 C to 60 C)
— Barometer (measures the air pressures and displays tendencies in the weather)
— Altimeter (The electronic mechanism “estimates” the altitude based on the air pressure)
— Altimeter data memory (Depending on the model, up to 40 sets of elevation data can be stored in the watch’s data memory and re-accessed at any time)
— Sunrise/sunset display (After entering the geographical location, sunrise and sunset times can be displayed for any given date)
Other ProTrek PRG Watches *similar by price and functions but different by cases
These are not all ProTrek PRG Series. Here is a list of All ProTrek PRG Watches →
PRG-300 Comparison Table with similar ProTrek Watches
Year of first Release
Radio-controlled (via atomic watch signals)
Radio-controlled (via atomic watch signals)
±15 seconds per month
STN LCD (more distinct and bigger digits)
Cross-Frame Structure (disperses impacts, reinforcing the case’s)
Moon Data (good for fishing and tides)
LED backlight (Super Illuminator)
Super-Full-Auto LED light (If the ambient light fades, a turn of your wrist illuminates the watch display particularly brightly.)
Full auto LED light, LED backlight (Super Illuminator)
Case / bezel material
Resin / Stainless steel
Resin / Stainless steel
Size (mm) *we consider 48.9×42.8×13.4 to be a traditional watch size (as in DW-5600). So you are to compare how far or close the watch is to this size
Full features (if you want to know more)
Enjoy Japanese approaches to Travel and Functional ProTrek Watches!
Every adventure needs a reliable partner. PRO TREK is exactly the kind of watch that you need to meet the demands of your interests. PRO TREK is equipped with functions such as solar power operation, a digital compass, an altimeter, a barometer and a thermometer. The combination of innovative technology, a robust precision movement and state-of-the-art design makes the PRO TREK the perfect companion for all adventures under the open sky. Mountain or valley? Forest or meadow? River or lake? No matter what awaits you, you will be well-prepared to make any rough terrain your own thanks to the PRO TREK.
Experience for yourself how PRO TREK opens up new horizons while always pointing you in the right direction!
Tough Solar. The CASIO Tough Solar System is now so advanced that even the weakest light sources are sufficient to operate the watches. The solar cells are so small and inconspicuous that they can be integrated easily into every watch face design.
An accumulator in solar watches saves “superfluous” energy and releases it when the watch is in darkness. The accumulator is charged automatically and does not require manual activation.
Triple Sensor. PRO TREK watches are equipped with the latest Triple Sensor, version 3 technology, making them even more accurate than before. Three highly sensitive, extremely small sensors measure with absolute precision and instantly display changes in your environment. The precision of the digital compass, altimeter, barometer and thermometer is only possible with the Triple Sensor technology. At the same time, the three layer sensor is 95% smaller and consumes 90% less energy than before.
Altimeter. For all those who set their sights high
The built-in altimeter uses a pressure sensor to measure the current air pressure.
The measured air pressure is then used to provide an “estimate” of the current altitude.
The electronic mechanism in the watch is pre-programmed with “ISA values” (“International Standard Atmosphere”) used to convert pressure values into altitude values.
The air pressure and temperature generally become lower as the altitude increases.
These values define the connection between altitude, air pressure and temperature.
Barometer. The barometer measures the air pressures and displays tendencies in the weather.
The higher a person goes (ascent/terrain), the lower the barometric pressure will be.
An increase in air pressure usually signifies an improvement in the weather.
A decrease in air pressure usually means that bad weather is on its way.
The air pressure is displayed with an accuracy of 1 hPa (hectopascals).
The barometer can measure and display a range from 260 hPa to 1100 hPa.
The PRO TREK digital compass shows 16 compass points. The direction of magnetic north and the bearing are calculated by the compass’s directional sensor The directional sensor consists of two rectangular coils that detect slight tensions created by the earth’s magnetic field. Depending on the position and direction, these tensions vary in intensity. There is a non-magnetic resistance between the two coils, which absorbs the subtle changes in tension. With each new position, the values that are measured by the resistance change. A microprocessor converts the measurements so that they can be displayed clearly on your watch.
Thermometer. The thermometer is used to measure the outside temperature.
The temperature is displayed with an accuracy of 0.1 °C.
The thermometer can measure and display a range from -10.0°C to 60.0°C.
The watertightness of the CASIO watches complies with DIN 8310 and ISO 22810. These standards describe the various classes of watertightness and the test procedure used to determine watertightness.
These standards apply to the general wristwatch usage. Watches with metre indications for watertightness cannot be used immediately in this water depth, however, as water resistance metre indications are merely a pictorial representation of the test pressure. A wristwatch withstands the impact of water at the static pressure specified on the watch (e.g. 10 bar) and the theoretical immersion in water to the specified depth.
Recent News about PRG-300
- [Live Photos] ProTrek PRG-300-7 and Everything you need to know about thin ice
- [February 2017] ProTrek Black and khaki green PRG-300-1B & PRG-300-3
- [Live Photos] What You Need To Know About Whitewater Rafting
- [Live Photos] Iconic Endangered Species You May Be Able To Spot On A Hiking Trip
- [Live Photos] 5 tips for capturing wildlife for amateur photographers
- [ProTrek Review] PRT-B50-4ER – when the watch writes history from a blank slate
- [ProTrek Review] PRW-50Y-1B — Retro Tourist Watch
- [ProTrek Review] PRW-60FC-1A — black beauty with a composite band
You ask, we answer…
CASIO’s original solar-charging system converts not only sunlight but also light from fluorescent lamps and other sources into power.
It’s the electronic mechanism that “estimates” the altitude based on the air pressure.
It measures and displays direction as one of 16 points.
It measures the air pressures and displays tendencies in the weather.
Can’t find a ProTrek of your dream? There are more watches!